[Mailman-Users] Members only umbrella lists

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Mon Feb 6 18:49:15 CET 2006

RobertHJ wrote:

>Sub-listA: memberA1, memberA2
>Sub-listB: memberB1, memberB2
>UmbrellaList: Sub-ListA, Sub-ListB
>
>Although UmbrellaList is a recognised alias in both sub lists, if memberA1 posts to UmbrellaList the post is held for moderator approval by Sub-ListB because sender is a non-member!
>
>Is there a way around this though the settings in the Administrative Interface?

No, I don't think so, other than making the umbrella list anonymous
which you don't want to do.

You can try subscribing umbrellalist-bounces at ... to the sub lists with
delivery disabled and password reminders off. This may work. Let us
know. (It depends in some ways on the settings of USE_ENVELOPE_SENDER
and SENDER_HEADERS in mm_cfg.py, but I *think* it should work with the
defaults.)

>Mailman v 2.1.6 provided by Web Hoster

Bummer. There is a patch
<http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1220144&group_id=103&atid=300103>
that would allow you to put '@Sub-listA' in accept_these_nonmembers of
Sub-listB and vice versa. This would do what you want, but you'd have
to convince the host to install the patch.

This is on the list as a feature for Mailman 2.2.