[Mailman-Users] Upgrade mailman-2.1.4 to mailman-2.1.7

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Feb 3 19:31:56 CET 2006

Christopher Adams wrote:

>One thing to keep in mind when upgrading Mailman is that some customized
>templates will be overwritten. The significant ones I can think of are
>listinfo.html and newlist.txt. So, I always at minimum the templates
>directory and copy over the files after the upgrade.

This is true if you edit the base template in templates/<lang>/, but
you should never do that. If you install edited templates as described
in
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.048.htp>,
they will not be overwritten during an upgrade.

Note however that occasionally, base templates need to be modified to
accommodate some other change, so if you have custom templates, it is
a good idea to compare them to the base after an upgrade to make sure
that the only differences are your own changes.

In this case, there is an easily overlooked change to private.html for
2.1.7 that removes the trailing slash from the post URL in the
template to accommodate the fix for bug 1080943.