[Mailman-Users] Full backup and restore of a mailman list

Lindsay Haisley fmouse-mailman at fmp.com
Wed Feb 1 01:50:15 CET 2006

I run a small hosting service with a number of mailman lists.  I need to
move all the lists to a new server - list config, subscribers, subscriber
options, archives, the whole ball of wax for each list.

What's be best way to do this?  I tried using config_list (-o on the source
end and -i on the receiving end) and list_members with various options but
this leaves individual members' options behind.

I note that each list has a file called config.pck associated with it in the
mutable data tree, and copying this from one server to the corresponding
location on the other _seems_ to copy pretty much everything except the list
archives.  Is this an acceptable way to do such a move?  What about moving
list archives?  How is this best done?

I've googled around on the mailman site and elsewhere but can't seem to find
a definitive HOWTO on moving lists.  I'm sure there must be one somewhere.
If anyone knows of such documentation, please point me to it.

--
Lindsay Haisley       | "Fighting against human |     PGP public key
FMP Computer Services |    creativity is like   |      available at