[Mailman-Users] mailman not sending post

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Thu Dec 28 07:24:45 CET 2006

Noah writes:

 > 7) Logs.
 >
 > The incoming post email to announce arrives and sendmail dumps a line or
 > two to /var/log/sendmail to acknowledge receipt of the email.

If you can post the relevant log entries, that might be helpful.  (Of
course be careful that you're not revealing anything proprietary; many
sites worry about posting domain names and internal IP addresses.  If
you substitute for them one-to-one, so that they can be unambiguously
matched across log entries that should be good enough.)

Sendmail should be recording not just receipt of the mail, but the
disposition as well.  Are those entries missing?  Have you checked
sendmail's queue(s)?  (eg, run mailq)

The name "announce" rings bells; it's a typical name for a one-way
list with specific restricted posters.  Do you perhaps have more
strict posting rules and the like for that list?  Have you checked the
moderation interface?  (NB, held posts should show up in qfiles, and I
think also an entry in vette, as I understand it.  You say there's
nothing unusual there, but the moderation interface is low-cost to
check if you haven't already done it.)