[Mailman-Users] Mailman on Mac OS X Server 10.3: Outgoing messagesstuck in qrunner/in folder

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Sat Dec 16 19:05:17 CET 2006

At 11:46 PM -0500 12/15/06, Barry Warsaw wrote:

>>  There's two places where the mailing lists are described.  One place
>>  is on the web pages at list.org (and mirrored at gnu.org), and one is
>>  within the Mailman listinfo description itself.  Only Barry can
>>  change the description at list.org/gnu.org, but I will go in and
>>  update the listinfo description.
>
>  What kind of changes are you looking for?  Do you have specific text
>  you'd like to change the online pages to use?

Well, I updated the listinfo page for mailman-users in three places.
The first paragraph now reads:

	This mailing list is for users and other parties interested
	in the Mailman mailing list management system, as provided
	for download via the resources shown at
	http://www.list.org/download.html. There is a separate
	mailing list for people interested in discussion about
	development of the system - mailman-developers.

In particular, I added the reference to which version of the Mailman
code we're talking about.  I then added another paragraph, which
reads:

	Unofficially, we will try to provide what support we can
	for versions of Mailman that come from other sources
	(e.g., vendor-provided binary packages, vendor-provided
	pre-installed software, etc...), but there will be a
	limit to the level of support that we can provide for
	versions of Mailman other than those which were built
	directly from code downloaded directly from the
	resources shown at http://www.list.org/download.html.

The idea being to make it clear to people that we will do as much as
we can to support Mailman regardless of where they got the software
and what modifications may have been made to it by the vendor, but to
also recognize that there will be limitations to the level of support
that we can provide for these versions.  Oh, and to reinforce which
version of Mailman we're talking about being the one that we
officially support here.

Finally, I added another paragraph, which reads:

	PLEASE MAKE SURE THAT YOU HAVE READ ALL THE RELEVANT
	FAQ ENTRIES, ARCHIVE MESSAGES, ETC... BEFORE POSTING
	ANY QUESTIONS TO THE LIST -- ESPECIALLY IF YOU HAVE
	ANY QUESTIONS REGARDING A VERSION OF MAILMAN THAT
	COMES FROM AN ALTERNATIVE SOURCE.

And yes, I went out of my way to make sure that this paragraph was in
ALL CAPS.  For the benefit of the whole Mailman community, I think
it's really important to remind people that they are responsible for
reading all the FAQ entries, archive messages, etc... that might be
relevant to their question.  This is doubly true for versions of
Mailman that come from other sources.

Now, how much you might want to take from this and incorporate into
the pages at list.org/gnu.org, I would say that would be up to you.
If there are any other changes you'd like made to the listinfo pages,
you're welcome to let me know and I'll be glad to make those for you
-- if you like.

--
Brad Knowles, <brad at shub-internet.org>

Trend Micro has announced that they will cancel the stop.mail-abuse.org
mail forwarding service as of 15 November 2006.  If you have an old
e-mail account for me at this domain, please make sure you correct that
with the current address.