[Mailman-Users] archiving turned off, attachments still saved

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sat Dec 16 19:11:41 CET 2006

Richard Kirkcaldy wrote:

>Am I missing something here?  I've got archiving set to private and
>turned off for one particular list, and it's quite rightly not
>archiving.  However, it is saving attachments in the form
>private/listname/attachments/yyyymmdd/hash.
>
>Is there a reason these attachments are being saved?  And is there a
>way I can stop them being saved?  And can I simply delete them,
>possibly with a cron job?

Yes, there is a reason. Attachments are removed and stored in the
archives/private/listname/attachments/ directory by 'Scrubber'.
Scrubber is invoked in 3 ways to do this.

1) if Non-digest options->scrub_nondigest is Yes, all messages will be
scrubbed in incoming message processing.

2) messages are scrubbed in digest processing for the 'plain' format
digest.

3) messages are scrubbed for the pipermail archiving.

If you don't want any attachments scrubbed and saved, you have to be
sure scrub_nondigest is No, archiving is off, and the list is not
digestable (digestable = No on Digest options).

You can delete them, but then they won't be available to digest
subscribers whose digests have links to them.