[Mailman-Users] join script

Christopher Adams adamsca at gmail.com
Thu Dec 14 20:56:41 CET 2006

Mark,

Thanks for spotting that. I don't know why the aliases were formatted
that way. It looks like the pipe was being escaped or something. I
hadn't thought that it was an alias problem because most everything
seemed to be working, including sending subscription requests to the
listname-request address. That's another question - what is the
difference between subscribing by sending a blank message or a
'subscribe' command to listname-join and sendilng a 'subscribe'
command to listname-request? It appears that they do the same thing. I
guess that's why we call them aliases. :>)

On 12/14/06, Mark Sapiro <msapiro at value.net> wrote:
> Christopher Adams wrote:
> >
> >So, I sent a message to the listname-join address of one of my test
> >lists, with no commands. The result was:
> >
> >listname-join at wherever.com on 12/14/2006 9:59 AM
> >            Failed (cannot append message to destination file
> >/|/var/mailman/mail/mailman join listname: cannot create file
> >exclusively: No    such file or directory)
>

> It looks like the alias that should look something like
>
> listname-join:  "|/var/mailman/mail/mailman join listname"
>
> has an extraneous '/' as perhaps
>
> listname-join:  "/|/var/mailman/mail/mailman join listname"
>
> --
> Mark Sapiro <msapiro at value.net>       The highway is for gamblers,

Christopher Adams
adamsca at gmail.com