[Mailman-Users] Turning off unsubscription confirmation

Dragon dragon at crimson-dragon.com
Mon Dec 11 23:45:00 CET 2006

Ben Swihart sent the message below at 14:25 12/11/2006:
>Sorry if I confused you.  Allow me to clarify.  First, I am using
>version 2.1.9.cp1, which I don't think I have mentioned so far.
>
>What I really wanted was to turn off unsubscription confirmations, as we
>don't feel there is a threat of malicious "spoof" unsubscribes on this
>particularly benign list about art events.  However, you can only turn
>off *all* confirmations (by selecting "None" in 'What steps are required
>for subscription?'), which I did and was experimenting with to see if it
>could work.  When I did this, e-mail command results were being
>e-mailed. Since I can't fix that problem, I have set "What steps are
>required for subscription?" to Confirm.
>
>Thank you for answering my question - there is no way to turn off only
>unsubscription confirmation e-mails.
>
>Note: I applied a patch and reviewed your previous e-mail (referenced
>below) and have followed instructions carefully and verified the code is
>as you have suggested. And restarted.
>
>My problem is resolved, as far as this particular use of mailman.
>However, if you set mailman to show the None option and select it, that
>appears to cause the e-mail command results bug.

Oh. cPanel.

That could very well be the problem here. The standard mailman
installation form source gives two options on the Privacy Options
Subscription Rules page. The first is for subscription with settings
of "Confirm", "Require Approval" and "Both". It also gives a setting
for confirming unsubscription with options of "Yes" and "No".

It may well be that cPanel does not expose both options. But since I
do not have access to a cPanel installation, I can't say that for sure.

Since you are using cPanel, you may have to direct your query to them
as the mailman developers know little about what cPanel has done to
the mailman code base.

Dragon