[Mailman-Users] Mailman archive messages(not rm, but install!)

John A. Martin jam at jamux.com
Sat Dec 9 04:17:00 CET 2006

    Paul> Quoting Brad Knowles (brad at shub-internet.org):
    >> At 11:43 AM -0500 12/8/06, John A. Martin wrote:
    >> >  See <http://packages.debian.org/unstable/mail/mailman> for a
    >> >  description of the Debian Mailman package that "integrates
    >> >  .... archiving ...".  Further down that page under the
    >> >  heading "Download mailman" click on one of the "list of
    >> >  files" buttons and see among other things:
    >> >  "usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/Archiver/pipermail.py"
    >>
    >> I've never claimed to be a Debian expert, and if they're
    >> mucking about with packages that include certain features by
    >> default in order to remove those features,

What makes you, Brad, think that Debian removes pipermail when shown
where it can be seen by anybody that it is included!  What mucking
about or other removal of features are you, or someone else, referring
to?

    >> then there's not much I can do to help the poor souls that are
    >> stuck with that kind of stuff.

The first recourse when having trouble with a Debian package should
not be to the upstream but to the Debian maintainers, usually via a
Debian Bug report.

    Paul> I don't know what John is experiencing,

I am experiencing dismay at the innuendo followed by disinformation
with respect to the Debian Mailman package.

    Paul> but I'm using Mailman installed from Debian Stable, and have
    Paul> been for a couple of years, and it's always had pipermail.

Yes.  AFICT the absence of pipermail from the Debian Mailman is a
fantasy held only by Brad Knowles as the explanation for difficulties
experienced by a user who remarked as follows:

    Alan> 	mm 2.1.5 .  But under Debian, so it has
    Alan> 	experienced/endured the Debian security upgrade
    Alan> 	procedures.

        jam