[Mailman-Users] Mailman archive messages

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Thu Dec 7 22:04:27 CET 2006

At 3:37 PM -0500 12/7/06, Todd Zullinger wrote:

>  You do have to know the location of the list archives with rm whereas
>  with bin/arch you don't.  And if you put a typo into bin/arch it can
>  at worst wipe out the archives of the wrong list, not large chunks of
>  your file system.

Everyone raise your hand if you have accidentally done the command:

	# rm -rf / path/to/file/structure/you/really/want/to/delete

Or, managed to do the right command on the wrong machine (where
you've connected to one system, then from there to another, etc...).

/me raises both hands

There's lots of other stupid sysadmin tricks.  Trust me, I've learned
the hard way.

Tools like bin/arch are much safer, albeit also slower.

--
Brad Knowles, <brad at shub-internet.org>

Trend Micro has announced that they will cancel the stop.mail-abuse.org
mail forwarding service as of 15 November 2006.  If you have an old
e-mail account for me at this domain, please make sure you correct that
with the current address.