[Mailman-Users] mails send from a webmail system dont get a Subject_prefix if there are umlauts

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Thu Dec 7 19:36:24 CET 2006

Götz Reinicke wrote:

> recently we noticed, that mails send from our webmailsystem TWIG
> containing a german umlaut in the subject aren't getting a
> Subject_prefix from maliman. Mails from other mailclients do get the
> Subject_prefix.
>
> The problem seams, that twig isn't encoding the subject correctly, so it
> get invalid and thats why mailman isn't setting a Subject_prefix.
>
> Is there a way to get mailman setting the Subject_prefix?

Mailman does a lot of processing to try to properly insert the
subject_prefix. I'm not surprised that something fails if the incoming
subject is not properly encoded.

I am able to duplicate the problem and will look at it further, but the
real solution is to use MUAs that create standards conformant messages