[Mailman-Users] query re "message has implicit destination"

Larry Stone lstone19 at stonejongleux.com
Thu Aug 31 04:12:24 CEST 2006

On 8/30/06 8:07 PM, Brad Knowles at brad at stop.mail-abuse.org wrote:

> At 2:22 AM +0200 2006-08-31, Bretton Vine wrote:
>
>>  Aaaah, but that's the crux of the situation. I have read the documentation.
>>  I have searched the FAQs. I have asked the list and I keep getting the same
>>  answer: there is no obvious reason a {TO:listname,CC:thirdparty} post should
>>  result in the "message has implicit destination" error.
>>
>>  However I am expected to provide one.
>
> There is no answer we can give you.  The software does not work the
> way you have described.
>
> The only two possible answers I can think of are:
>
> 1.  The user was intentionally lying to you.
>
> 2.  The user did not fully understand the question and the situation,
> and therefore gave you an inaccurate response.

Just a thought and I may be all wet here but is it possible the user is
sending to an alias for the listname, possibly an alternative hostname for
the machine, that mailman doesn't know is an acceptable alternative and
therefore considers it to an implicit destination?

For example, mailman expects lists.example.com but mail is sent to
list at foo.example.com which is the same host.

--
Larry Stone
lstone19 at stonejongleux.com