[Mailman-Users] query re "message has implicit destination"

Bretton Vine bretton at hivemind.net
Thu Aug 31 02:22:19 CEST 2006

Mark Sapiro said the following on 2006/08/31 01:22 AM:
> Whatever is chosen as the Defaults.py value for any particular list
> setting, some will wish it had been the other way. It is simply not
> possible to create "out of the box" defaults that will satisfy
> everyone. That is why a site can change the defaults for itself and
> individual lists can be changed to be different from the site defaults.

I understand, thanks for the additional clarification :-)
(Lot easier to illustrate a point when a number of people say the
same/similar thing)

> What you are saying above is not correct.
<snip>
> Thus of your 3 examples above, if 'list' is the list posting address
> that Mailman expects to see, only the 3rd example will be held for
> implicit destination because in this and only this case, Mailman
> doesn't see the list address as a recipient of the post.

Aaaah, but that's the crux of the situation. I have read the documentation.
I have searched the FAQs. I have asked the list and I keep getting the same
answer: there is no obvious reason a {TO:listname,CC:thirdparty} post should
result in the "message has implicit destination" error.

However I am expected to provide one.

I have an example of {TO:list1;BCC:list2} resulting in the administrative
error so I know it works as it should. But I also have an example where I
get that error without the different inputs and yet can't reproduce the
error myself.

If I'm being a bit anal it's because I need to be quite sure of myself if
I'm going to suggest the problem exists between keyboard and chair ...

> Further,
> To: someone
> Cc: list
> will also be accepted.

Yup, tested and it works. Except I have a message from a list-member that
matches that setup and still resulted in the error indicated. Odd? I think
so. Does the error lie with the system, no, I'm pretty sure it doesn't going
by the useful input I've had. Thanks again :-)

--
| Bretton Vine | 083 633 8475 | bretton at hivemind.net |
| GPG: http://bretton.hivemind.net/bretton_vine.asc  |

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." - John Morley