[Mailman-Users] Can't send messages to list

Eric Howland eric.howland at gmail.com
Tue Aug 29 06:44:25 CEST 2006

On 8/27/06, Mark Sapiro <msapiro at value.net> wrote:
> Eric Howland wrote:
> >
> >I have this problem as well. Mark's response describes my case.  In my
> >smtp-failures file I get:
> >
> >[root at raid src]# tail /var/log/mailman/smtp-failure
> >Aug 27 04:20:05 2006 (23140) delivery to duga at wisc.edu failed with
> >code -1: (110, 'Connection timed out')
. . .
> >Aug 27 04:26:57 2006 (23140) Low level smtp error: please run
> >connect() first, msgid:
> ><001c01c6c72e$9f8b7e20$2502a8c0 at VALUED5BD4C299>
> >

> >I take it that the Low level smtp errors are comming from my MTA
> >(postfix). In my case the problem was intermittent untill about a week
> >ago when it became steady.  I have posted to the postfix list but I
> >still have no understanding of who should be running connect().
>

> The "please run connect() first" message comes from low down in the
> Python library and is really a message to SMTPDirect. It is a result
> in this case of SMTPDirect trying to continue to talk on the
> connection that timed out.

Thank you for this clarification.

> Is the MTA in the same machine (localhost) as Mailman? If so, we can
> rule out a flakey network connection. If not, that may be the issue.

Same machine.

> Otherwise, the issue seems to be that Postfix is taking way too long to
> handle Mailman's SMTP transactions.

For sure YES. The performance tuning documentation looks at how to
move from .2 seconds per table to .002 second. I have 3+
hours/message.

> >Is the reset by peer comming from the MTA or beyond the MTA?
>

> The peer is the MTA. The error comes about because SMTPDirect is trying
> to close the connection by sending a QUIT and is not receiving a 221
> or any other response; the connection is closed by the MTA before any
> reply is received.

I have used both DELIVERY_MODULE = 'Sendmail'
and
DELIVERY_MODULE = 'SMTPDirect'

This just shifts the directory in which the outgoing email is stuck.
SMTPDirect leaves them in the out directory
Sendmail leaves them in the shunt directory

Should this tell me anything about what is wrong with postfix?