[Mailman-Users] Moving existing list to new server/domain

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Tue Aug 29 05:39:00 CEST 2006

Bob wrote:

>I am moving a LARGE Version 2.1.5 (linux) list to a 2.1.8 (FreeBsd)  server on
>a different domain.

<snip>

>I initially tried to simply copy the config.pck file, configure /etc/hosts to
>point the old server-name to the new one, and was able to see all the users,
>etc... made a couple of needed changes, and reset /etc/hosts. Then Mailman
>crashed, spawning a bazillion processes, and "too many open files" forced a
>reboot!
>
>So obviously that doesn't work :-(

I don't know why?  You should be able to just copy the old config.pck
to the new server and run

  bin/withlist -l -r fix_url listname

to fix the domain names in the list. You don't normally need to do
anything in /etc/hosts.

I don't know why Mailman crashed. What were the bazillion processes?
Normally, only mailmanctl spawns processes and those are only the
queue runners.