[Mailman-Users] Stupid newbie request

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sun Aug 27 21:18:03 CEST 2006

Bob Landman wrote:

>I sent mail to "PlanningNews-NH-request at hlinstruments.net" with who password in the body of the mail (my password that I retrieved via the usual way) after I had set the list to allow all list members to get the subscriber list.  This is what came back (I replaced my password with the word "password"):
>
>The results of your email command are provided below. Attached is your original message.
>
>- Results:
>    Usage:
>
>    who password [address=<address>]
>        See everyone who is on this mailing list.  The roster is limited to
>        list members only, and you must supply your membership password to
>        retrieve it.  If you're posting from an address other than your
>        membership address, specify your membership address with
>        `address=<address>' (no brackets around the email address, and no
>        quotes!)
>

>- Unprocessed:
>    who password

I know you got it to work from your subsequent posts by using the admin
password, but I think you also made another change.

First note that mail to -request will process the Subject: if it looks
like a command.

Also note that your "who password" command was unprocessed. Thus I
think the mail you sent with the "who password" command in the body
had a Subject of "who" without the password. So, the Usage result
refers to the command in the Subject:, and the error prevented the
rest from being processed.

Granted, the reply could be more clear as to what it didn't like, but
that's what I think is going on.

The request you sent that worked either didn't have a subject of "who"
or had the whole command with password in the subject.