[Mailman-Users] Sendmail can't keep up with qfiles/out director

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Fri Aug 25 03:53:53 CEST 2006

At 7:49 PM -0600 2006-08-24, Rob Jackson wrote:

>  Our mail server is getting overloaded and the out directory will hit over
>  7,000 in just one day, and we can't clear them out fast enough.
>
>  We are using Sendmail as our MTA.
>
>  How can we speed things up?

Well, two things:

1.  This sounds like an MTA problem, and not a mailing list problem.
This mailing list is dedicated to the topic of supporting the Mailman
mailing list manager, and although we use MTAs, it really isn't our
purpose to support MTAs, and certainly not specific MTAs.

2.  If you search the FAQ Wizard for "sendmail" and "performance",
you will find some pointers to information that can help you do some
tuning of your system, especially to Nick Christenson's book
_Sendmail Performance Tuning_.

In general, when you have a problem with a particular system, it's
usually best to get support from the people who develop that system
or help to support it, as opposed to going somewhere else and asking
people who may be only peripherally involved in using that same kind
of system (among others).

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755

  Founding Individual Sponsor of LOPSA.  See <http://www.lopsa.org/>.