[Mailman-Users] Spam avoidance, revisited: best practices?

Florian Weimer fw at deneb.enyo.de
Wed Aug 23 19:17:24 CEST 2006

* Matt England:

> I'm also considering adding these capabilities (which may or may not be
> implicit in the above description) to combat spam:
>
> * Don't allow email from non-subscribers
> * Moderate email from new subscribers some period of time (probably a day
> to a week)

I've compiled a few instructions for setting up Exim and Mailman such
that Exim rejects non-members at the SMTP level:

  <http://www.enyo.de/fw/software/exim/mailman-smtp-reject.html>

Once you've got a way to query the subscriber list from Exim, you can
configure different actions, of course (such as greylisting, if you
like that).