[Mailman-Users] Running Mailman software

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Fri Aug 11 02:58:39 CEST 2006

At 10:49 PM +0100 2006-08-10, Martin Dennett (Gmail) wrote:

>  After having had 2 hosts for my mailing list in the last 3 months and
>  now being told that my list is "too big" for the host we currently use
>  (2000 members, approx ½ of whom don't actually receive any mail, just
>  choosing to read on the web, and half of those left being on digest), I
>  am seriously considering hosting the list myself. What I would like to
>  know, from those that have done it and are currently doing it, are the
>  positives and negatives of such a situation. If I choose to forge ahead
>  with this (and with other such alternatives as Yahoo & Googlegroups,
>  it's a definite possibility), I'd need *real* dummy instructions on how
>  to go about this.

Running your own mail server is a non-trivial task.  Go look at the
FAQ and documentation at sendmail.org or postfix.org to get an idea
of the level of complexity involved in that process.

Adding a mailing list server on top of that is also a non-trivial
task.  Again, go look at the documentation and FAQ at
<http://www.list.org/docs.html> and
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=index>, respectively.

First thing I'd recommend is for you to take a look at getting a
better list hosting facility, starting with the information in
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq01.017.htp>.
 From there you should have a better idea if you really want to do
this yourself on your own machine, or if you want to use hosting
facilities from somewhere else.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755

  Founding Individual Sponsor of LOPSA.  See <http://www.lopsa.org/>.