[Mailman-Users] Mailman Stalls for Outgoing Emalis

Kevin A. McGrail kevin.mcgrail at thoughtworthy.com
Wed Aug 9 06:39:15 CEST 2006

> Have you looked at the section of the FAQ discussing performance tuning of
> your system?  See FAQs 6.3, 6.6, and 6.8.

Thanks.  I've made some tweaks in line with these FAQs and have some
comments.

FAQ 6.6 mentions SMTP_MAX_RCPTS = 10 but 6.3 mentions 2-5.  I'm using VERP
so I believe this is irrelevant to my installation but it might be good to
clarify for consistency.

Also FAQ 6.6 mentions changes because mailman didn't used to use a FIFO
queue.  The FAQ specifies this was a target for 2.1.X mailman and to my
knowledge QRUNNER_PROCESS_LIFETIME &  QRUNNER_MAX_MESSAGES were remove from
Default.py.

>>  I believe the box is hitting it's limit of sendmail services and
>> refusing
>>  service and that the mailman service is not gracefully retrying later,
>>  either by design or a bug.  Is this expected behavior or is there a
>> setting
>>  I have missed?
>
> That's a reasonable conclusion, but with proper tuning of the MTA and
> configuration of Mailman, you shouldn't reach that point.  Start with the
> FAQ entries mentioned above.

The box is an incoming mail server as well so while we can tweak things to
make running out of child daemons minimal, with the dictionary
attacks+spammers+normal mail traffic, I see no way that I can guarantee that
the box will not run out of connections available.  Am I correct that if
this occurs, the qfile/out runner will stall?

Thanks again,
KAM