[Mailman-Users] How to create site list?

Dave Sherohman esper at sherohman.org
Sun Aug 6 21:58:54 CEST 2006

I just (finally) got around to upgrading my mail server from Debian
Woody to Sarge, and that brought a change of my Mailman version from
something a few years old to 2.1.5-8, which refuses to start unless
there's a list named "mailman".  I don't get the need for it (yes, I
have read the FAQs, but I'm not convinced that there's good cause for a
mailing list of all list admins to be an ironclad requirement), but,
fine, whatever.

/home/esper# newlist
Enter the name of the list: mailman at sherohman.org
Enter the email of the person running the list: esper at sherohman.org
Initial mailman password:
Create a new, unpopulated mailing list.

Usage: /usr/sbin/newlist [options] [listname [listadmin-addr [admin-password]]]

<snippity-snip>
The list admin address need to be a fully-qualified address, like
owner at example.com, not just owner.

Illegal list name: mailman at localhost
/home/esper#

Ummm... OK.  It's refusing to create a list named mailman at localhost,
even though I told it to create mailman at sherohman.org.  I've also tried
using just mailman as the list name with identical results.

What do I need to do to get Mailman to agree to create the all-important
site list so that I can get my lists up and running again?

Also, I have a few virtual domains on the server.  Am I correct that a)
the site list should be at the server's primary hostname and b) it is
not necessary to create site lists of mailman@[every virtual domain on
the box]?