[Mailman-Users] list owner signature

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Thu Aug 3 15:34:38 CEST 2006

Lenny Shovsky wrote:

>Every list on our list server has mailman-owner@ address as the contact in
>the footer, I would like that to be list-owner@ instead ( list-owner being
>the name of the each particular list ), so when list subscribers click on
>it, they get to contact the list owner.
>
>the footer looks like this.
>
>"If you have questions, problems, comments, etc, send them to
>mailman-owner at lists.aecom.yu.edu  Thanks!"

You still haven't told me where you are seeing this footer, but I will
continue to assume it is on the bottom of posts and digests as sent to
list members from Mailman.

As I said,

>> I'm not sure what you are asking. Are you talking about the footer
>appended to list posts and digests? If so, see the web admin
>> interface, Non-digest Options->msg_footer and Digest
>> options->digest_footer.

To be more specific, assuming what you put above is the exact footer
that you want on both messages and digests, put the following 4 lines
in mm_cfg.py perhaps replacing any settings for DEFAULT_MSG_FOOTER and
DEFAULT_DIGEST_FOOTER that are already there (watch out for a wrapped
line)

DEFAULT_MSG_FOOTER = """If you have questions, problems, comments, etc,
send them to
%(list_name)s-owner@%(host_name)s  Thanks!
"""
DEFAULT_DIGEST_FOOTER = DEFAULT_MSG_FOOTER

This will set the default for new lists. For existing lists, you can
edit each list manually through the web admin pages mentioned above,
or you can do the following to set the footers for all lists.

Put the following 6 lines in a file (again watch for wrapped lines).

msg_footer = """If you have questions, problems, comments, etc, send
them to
%(list_name)s-owner@%(host_name)s  Thanks!
"""
digest_footer = """If you have questions, problems, comments, etc, send
them to
%(list_name)s-owner@%(host_name)s  Thanks!
"""

Then cd to the Mailman installation directory and run the following
shell script

#!/bin/sh
for list in `bin/list_lists --bare`
do bin/config_list -i path/to/above/file $list
done

If you want something different from the exact footer above, you can
edit it accordingly. Go to the list admin Non-digest options page and
follow the (Details for msg_footer) link for information on the
various %(xxx)s substitutions you can use.