[Mailman-Users] duplicate messages from shunt queue

Charles Sprickman spork at bway.net
Tue Aug 1 01:08:50 CEST 2006

Hi all,

Recently I found a fairly huge amount of files in the shunt queue (around
1500).  All I could gather from the error log is that most of them were from an
old bug in parsing weird charsets and the later ones were due to the post and
smtp-failur logfiles being owned by root.  So I fixed the perms (had already
upgraded to 2.1.8 a month or so ago) and all was well.

Then I ran bin/unshunt.

Then people started complaining that they were getting a few hundred old
messages. :)

What am I missing here?  From what I've been able to dig up on the list
archives the qfiles/shunt directory should only contain messages that never
made it out to any lists due to some error in config, perms or some bug in
mailman itself.  But it's looking like these all did somehow make it through
mailman previously and were sent a second time.  A few other tidbits:

-looking at some samples, msgids are the same, so it wasn't a user getting a
rejection and then posting again

-the dupes DO NOT show up in the web archive

Any other info I can supply here?  Mailman 2.1.8, ruby 1.8.2, FreeBSD 4.7.

Thanks,

Charles

___
Charles Sprickman