[Mailman-Users] permissions error with 'make install'

Christopher Adams adamsca at gmail.com
Fri Apr 28 21:20:02 CEST 2006

I am doing a new Mailman installation on Red Hat.

I am doing the install as a member of the Mailman group.

I have made sure that the installation directory can be written to by that
group.

I have run 'configure' and 'make' successfullly.

When I run 'make install', I get the following:

[chris at gatsby mailman-2.1.8]$ make install
Creating architecture independent directories...
chmod o-r /usr/local/mailman/archives/private
chmod: changing permissions of `/usr/local/mailman/archives/private':
Operation not permitted
make: *** [doinstall] Error 1

So, assuming that the problem was changing the permissions for the
archives/private directory, I made the change as root and then went back to
do the 'make install'. I get the same message, even though I manually had
changed the permissions.

If I run check_perms, I get this:

[root at gatsby bin]# ./check_perms
Warning: Private archive directory is other-executable (o+x).
         This could allow other users on your system to read private
archives.
         If you're on a shared multiuser system, you should consult the
         installation manual on how to fix this.
No problems found

Can someone give me some suggestions?

--