[Mailman-Users] Can this be done with Mailman?

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Mon Apr 24 23:28:21 CEST 2006

Odhiambo Washington wrote:

>Fine, so it's doable, only if he commissions the work and funds it, yes?
>;-)

Right.

>| You didn't ask for criticism of the idea itself so I won't offer any.
>
>Since I did not even imagine the possibility.
>
>I'd be happy, however, to hear you "critique" the idea. Thanks.

My first reaction is "why would you want to do that!". I still can't
figure that out.

Then my questions are "what would the purpose of this archive be?" and
"in what way would members find it useful?"

I suspect one of two things would happen. Either no one is interested
in archives anyway so it wouldn't make any difference, or people do
want archives in which case, people being resourceful, you would
quickly see two things happen.

Every post in a thread will quote the entire thread to that point
because everyone knows that 'context' can't be found in the archives,
and those who are really interested in having access to archives will
reply to every thread with nothing but a quote of the thread so that
they can have access to the thread in the archive.

I would still like to know what 'problem' is being solved by this idea
as I can't think of one.