[Mailman-Users] You don't have permission to access /pipermail/ onthis server.

Noah admin2 at enabled.com
Sun Apr 23 20:28:43 CEST 2006

> >but what I did do was remove all other permissions and put the ownership of
> >the private directory to www to solve the problem.  check_perms works well now.
> >
> ># ls -l
> >total 6
> >drwxrws---  103 www      mailman  2560 Apr 21 21:49 private
> >drwxrwsr-x    2 mailman  mailman  1536 Apr 21 21:49 public
>
> Actually, regardless of check_perms complaints or lack thereof,
>
> drwxrws---  103 www      mailman  2560 Apr 21 21:49 private
>
> is worse than
>
> drwxrws--x  103 mailman  mailman  2560 Apr 21 21:49 private
>
> The latter only allows the web browser to search the private
> directory, while the former allows it to read it as well.
>
> I'm not 100% certain about this, but I think the o+x on the private
> directory /is/ required in at least some OSs for the symlinks from
> public/* to private/* to work.

Well the sym links appear to work fine from an apache/browser perspective.  I
dont think there has been any problems yet.

archiving appears to be working properly for both public and private archives.

> Also, the Makefile that creates archives/private has created it with
> o+x for many years.

thanks for the information.  appears that there should be some consistency
between the Makefile and the check_perm's warnings though.

cheers,

Noah