[Mailman-Users] Little doubt

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Tue Apr 18 04:11:32 CEST 2006

johannes.kepler at sapo.pt wrote:

>The page I edit and gives problems is the "Welcome email text file " - a text
>file. As far as the html files, there's no problem.
>
>Citando Mark Sapiro <msapiro at value.net>:

>> they
>>

>> Which files are you editing? How are you editing them? Where are you
>> placing edited versions? Are you perhaps creating edited templates
>> with, e.g., utf-8 encoding (pt templates need to be iso-8859-1
>> encoded)?

Did this problem occur before you edited the Welcome message?

I am only guessing here, but I think perhaps the web server is
overriding the character set of the web pages as specified by Mailman,
so that when you edit the Welcome message via the web, the high order
characters get encoded in some character set other than iso-8859-1
(maybe utf-8). Then when the template is used in an email sent with
character set iso-8859-1 (Mailman's character set for Portugese),
those characters are garbled.