[Mailman-Users] doesn't work...

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Sep 30 18:25:48 CEST 2005

kalin mintchev wrote:

>> strings config.pck | grep wang
>
>this helped. found 'johnwang @aabdc.com'...  took it out with withlist...
>isn't mailman supposed to check for stuff like that when mass subscribing?
>this was from a mass subscription....

Yes, I don't know why it failed in this case. Mass subscribe ultimately
calls MailList.ApprovedAddMember() to actually add the member. This
method in turn calls Utils.ValidateEmail() which raises
Errors.MMBadEmailError if the address containes any spaces. The
exception is caught in the mass subscribe.

I think you are on 2.1.5 based on line numbers in your tracebacks.
2.1.5 Utils.ValidateEmail() would pass e-mail addresses containing
control characters in the range \000-\037 and \177. This is corrected
in 2.1.6. Possibly the original mass subscribe list contained a
control character that later got mapped to a space after the address
was validated.