[Mailman-Users] umbrella lists and approved senders

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Sep 30 01:31:28 CEST 2005

Gary Casterline wrote:

>We've set up chain of hierarchical lists to accommodate annual groups.
>Each year we create a list for the new cohorts:
>
>    class-of-2003 at example.tld
>    class-of-2004 at example.tld
>    class-of-2005 at example.tld
>
>and then add the new class-of list to the umbrella list:
>
>    alumni at example.tld
>
>Each list is set to allow postings from subscribers and a
>small set of approved non-subscribed addresses.  I'd like to add
>these approved addresses to the umbrella list and have messages go
>through without owner/moderator approval to the sublists.
>As it is now, we have to add the approved addresses to each sublist.
>
>Any suggestions?

I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to do, but the patch at
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1220144&group_id=103&atid=300103
may help.

This patch allows you to put '@listname' in list_2's
accept_these_nonmembers field and then all the members of listname are
allowed to post to list_2.

If I understand you correctly, you could do the following:

Create list_x. No one will post to this list. No general users need to
be aware of it. You can set it up per
http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq03.011.htp
so it is fully moderated and no one can post.

You then add all your non-member 'approved' addresses to this list.

Then when you create a new class-of-xxxx at example.tld list, you put
@list_x in the accept_these_nonmembers field.

Thus, all the members of list_x will be allowed to post to any of the
class-of-xxxx at example.tld lists, and the special approved posters can
be dynamically maintained just by maintaining the membership of list_x.

This does require installation of the patch, which may or may not be an
issue.