[Mailman-Users] bounce_info_stale_after

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Thu Sep 29 22:48:48 CEST 2005

Bill Moseley wrote:

>Two questions about bounce processing in 2.1.5.
>
>First question:
>
>The bounce_info_stale_after is regardless of list traffic?  I.e. is
>the bounce information discarded after bounce_info_stale_after days
>regardless if there's been any outgoing mail?

Yes, but only the most recent prior bounce is considered. I.e., if a
user has some prior bounces and the most recent is less than
bounce_info_stale_after days old, all are kept.

>For example, if you have a list where a message goes out just once
>every week, but you have bounce_info_stale_after less than a week then
>will a bouncing address *ever* get disabled?

Not in this case. You need to insure that bounce_info_stale_after is
more than a week in this case.

>Second questions:
>
>After bounce_you_are_disabled_warnings_interval is finished is the
>address really "removed" as the docs say, or just set to "nomail"?
>I assume it really means "removed".

It's really removed. When the score reaches bounce_score_threshold,
delivery is disabled for 'bounce'. If delivery is not subsequently
enabled by the user or admin, the user will be removed from the list
after bounce_you_are_disabled_warnings times
bounce_you_are_disabled_warnings_interval days as long as the disabled
cron is being run. This does not depend on the warnings themselves
bouncing. It only depends on delivery remaining disabled.