[Mailman-Users] apache errors

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Thu Sep 29 20:23:10 CEST 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-29 at 13:55 -0400, Joe Damico wrote:
> Bryan:
>
> I had this problem myself - very recently.  This was on a Solaris
> implementation of Mailman.
>
> The values in question are:
> DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'hostname'
> DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'hostname'
>
> I had appended these values to the file:
> /usr/local/mailman/Mailman/mm_cfg.py
>
> That didn't work, so I replaced the hostname with the fully qualified
> network name:  'hostname.domain.edu'
>
> That didn't work either.  So, then, I put these values into the file:
> /usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Defaults.py
>
> And then everything worked correctly!

Something is not right then. One should never edit Defaults.py.
mm_cfg.py includes the contents of Defaults.py via this line:

from Defaults import *

Then in mm_cfg.py one overrides any settings previously imported from
Defaults.

In addition, the HTTP Error 403 - Forbidden, is not generated by invalid
host names or URL's. This error says the URL was located but the client
does not have permission to access it, this is a http server
configuration issue, not a mailman configuration issue.

I suspect the problem is the http configuration for the directory that
was originally posted omitted the "Options ExecCGI" which is required to
tell the http server it is permissible to execute cgi scripts in this
directory.

Here is what I use, adjust the path to your installation:

ScriptAlias /mailman/ /usr/lib/mailman/cgi-bin/
<Directory /usr/lib/mailman/cgi-bin/>
    AllowOverride None
    Options ExecCGI
    Order allow,deny