[Mailman-Users] attachements question

John W. Baxter jwblist at olympus.net
Wed Sep 28 17:50:47 CEST 2005

On 9/28/05 1:30 AM, "Brad Knowles" <brad at stop.mail-abuse.org> wrote:

>>  Why archivers don't use Message-Id for the URL, I don't know.
>
> Because some MUAs generate message-ids that are likely to
> collide.

In addition, the Message-Id values would have to be filtered, if used as is,
for URL-unfriendly characters (eg, Outlook Express tosses in a couple of $
characters).  Just another example of not trusting input from untrusted
sources.

The hash of Message-Id:, Date:, and Received: (all of the Received: headers)
would do, except for the case of an insane MTA--the one generating the "top"
Perhaps a representation of the computer's clock would help there.

There's also the small point that the presence of Message-Id: is a SHOULD,
not a MUST (some compromise in the musty past of the IETF, no doubt).

  --John