[Mailman-Users] Can we use an external mail server with mailman ?

julien grosjean j.grosjean at proxiad.com
Fri Sep 23 16:27:38 CEST 2005

Hi everybody,

I have a problem for the configuration of mailman with an external mail
server

Here is a complement of informations about my first mail :
http://www.mail-archive.com/mailman-users%40python.org/msg34423.html

SETUP DETAILS :

I install mailman 2.1.5 on my CentOS distro.

I setup mm_cfg conf file like this :

##start file
DEFAULT_URL_HOST   = 'extranet-proxiad.com'
DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'proxiad.com'
IMAGE_LOGOS = '/icons/'
MTA = 'Postfix'
###end file

MAIL SERVER DETAILS

My Mail Server is NOT on the same server than my mailman server...
My mail server is proxiad.com (217.109.179.10) with smtp.proxiad.com and
pop.proxiad.com (This server requiert an authentification... )

My mailman server is extranet-proxiad.com (193.252.219.206)

All emails are create on the mail server.
The mail server receive the mail correctly.
With my mail client, test at proxiad.com receive the mail, but not
suscribers...

THE PROBLEM :

I create a test list via web interface.

We can suscribe to the list, but the problem is than when we sent an
email to the list email, such as test at proxiad.com,
just this email receive the mail...
Only test at proxiad.com receive the mail from the sender...
Is there a configuration to make ?

Perhaps there is an aliases problem ?

Should aliases be on the mail server or on the mailman server ?

here is my /etc/aliases file :

mailman:              "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post mailman"
mailman-admin:        "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman admin mailman"
mailman-bounces:      "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman bounces mailman"
mailman-confirm:      "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman confirm mailman"
mailman-join:         "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman join mailman"
mailman-leave:        "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman leave mailman"
mailman-owner:        "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman owner mailman"
mailman-request:      "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman request mailman"
mailman-subscribe:    "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman subscribe mailman"
mailman-unsubscribe:  "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman unsubscribe mailman"

test:              "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post test"
test-admin:        "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman admin test"
test-bounces:      "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman bounces test"
test-confirm:      "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman confirm test"
test-join:         "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman join test"
test-leave:        "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman leave test"
test-owner:        "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman owner test"
test-request:      "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman request test"
test-subscribe:    "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman subscribe test"
test-unsubscribe:  "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman unsubscribe test"

I ran newaliases command.

I am aware that there is a flag to prevent a sender from receiving their
own post...

Logs are not very usefull... no error is reported...

Can we use an external mail server with mailman running on another server  ?

All advices are welcome...

Many thanks...