[Mailman-Users] Synchronizing Mailman between two servers.

Ivan Fetch ifetch at du.edu
Thu Sep 22 19:46:40 CEST 2005

Hello,

    i'm looking at this for our setup as well.  How are others handling
the Mailman processes (qrunners) starting on a second server once the first
server has gone down, and switching back to the first server once it has
recovered?

    Mailman's locks are usually not cleaned up properly when a server
unexpectedly fails - although we could force the locks to be removed and
start mailman processes on the second machine, we'll need to be sure that
the first machine is really "dead".  I assume two machines trying to run
qrunners on the same mailman directories at once is not a good thing.

    This brings me to search for a way to insure that even if other
services on a machine are not available, Mailman is certainly not
operating on the Mailman directories before I try starting Mailman
processes on a second machine.  Perhaps looking at access /
modification times of particualr files or directories, relative to the
current time?  Are there any ideas or comments from others doing or
looking into this?

- Ivan Fetch.