[Mailman-Users] Email rejected with un-quoted From with a dot

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Mon Sep 19 19:09:56 CEST 2005

    Bill> On an old Debian Woody machine running mailmain 2.0.11
    Bill> Mailman rejects mail with an un-quoted name part that
    Bill> includes a dot.

Yup.  According to RFC 2822's grammar, that's not "an un-quoted
name part that includes a dot", that's a syntax error.

The user who's sending that stuff should be advised to get a compliant
MUA or fix their configuration.

Note the quotes in my "From:".  That is NOT because of mailman; I've
had several other programs do yucky things to my mail because of the
unquoted dot.  If you want your mail delivered reliably, it's worth
conforming to this one.

Granted, it's also true that Mailman MUST accept and parse that
address (cf RFC 2822 section 4 and example A.6.1).  But as I say, this
is not just a Mailman issue.