[Mailman-Users] "command not in docroot"

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Mon Sep 19 17:12:02 CEST 2005

On Sun, 2005-09-18 at 12:05 -0700, Leo A. Notenboom wrote:
> I've suddenly started getting that error in suexec_log, and as
> a result no one can confirm or worse, leave, the mailing lists
> that up until recently had been working fine.
>
> This is on Redhat Enterprise w/ Plesk - I suspect a nightly
> up2date hosed something that mailman cares about.
>
> Any thoughts on what to do to correct this problem?

1) Contact SWSoft, the providers of Plesk

2) Provide a more descriptive error message, otherwise no one can
possibly debug this for you. My best guess is that something in your
apache config file (/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf) changed that either has
disabled the reading the /etc/httpd/conf.d/mailman.conf file which
contains the ScriptAlias and Directory configuration for mailman, which
in turn tells apache about the existence of the mailman cgi URL/commands
and tells apache it has permission to execute this outside the document
root. I believe there is also a global flag in that may be present in
httpd.conf that enables or defeats cgi execution outside the document
root.

But really, this is not a mailman issue, its either an issue with Plesk
or your apache configuration (I know very little about how Plesk works
but I suspect it has a very strong interaction with apache configuration
which is why since Plesk is in the picture you need to consider Plesk
interaction).
--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>