[Mailman-Users] config.pck, apache, permissions and Errno 13

John W. Baxter jwblist at olympus.net
Thu Sep 15 17:17:45 CEST 2005

On 9/14/05 10:46 AM, "Sam Gamgee" <samwise-gamgee at web.de> wrote:

> yes yes yes. I know that.
> but the results are not permanent. My problem is trying to find out why.

If the fixes are not permanent, then something is "fixing" them.  My memory
of the thread says that this happens periodically.

I've now forgotten what aspect of the fix isn't permanent in your case.  If
it is the setgid bit, then perhaps there is a periodic "nanny" process which
removes dangerous setgid bits.  If so, there probably is a "these are OK"
list associated with the process.

Traditionally, one looked carefully at what is run by cron...in some cases
that no longer suffices...for example Apple has moved much of the periodic
stuff out of cron into their launchd thing.  (Which probably isn't really
theirs, but Mac OS X is where I encounter the beast.)

  --John