[Mailman-Users] how to receive all notifications and bounces

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Wed Sep 14 03:19:20 CEST 2005

Csaba Kiraly wrote:

>I have a question regarding bounce processing. I was setting up a list
>for a small group (~20 people) working together preparing documents, etc.
>What I need is to receive immediate notifications if something goes
>wrong, e.g. an e-mail address was mistyped when added, some delivery
>errors, etc.
>
>Looking at bounce processing, I have found options aiming at easing the
>administrator's task by "filtering" out bounces. Even if I turn off
>bounce processing, it is written that:
>*bounce_processing* (bounce): Should Mailman perform automatic bounce
>processing? By setting this value to /No/, you disable all automatic
>bounce processing for this list, however bounce messages will still be
>discarded so that the list administrator isn't inundated with them.
>
>How can I set this up to receive immediate notifications?

If you have site administration capability over your Mailman
installation and the incoming MTA, you can set the alias for the
listname-bounces address so it forwards to you directly.

If not, or if you still want automated processing, set the following
bounce processing options.

bounce_processing Yes
bounce_score_threshold 0.5
bounce_info_stale_after won't matter - default 7 is OK
bounce_you_are_disabled_warnings - default is OK
bounce_you_are_disabled_warnings_interval - default is OK

Notifications
bounce_unrecognized_goes_to_list_owner Yes
Sbounce_notify_owner_on_disable Yes
bounce_notify_owner_on_removal Yes

With settings like these, the first bounce will disable the
subscription and the owner will be notified and the notification will
contain a copy of the bounce message. The key is having the
notifications turned on and the bounce_score_threshold low enough that
the first bounce causes a disable.