[Mailman-Users] Problem integrating v2.1.5 into the mail system

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Tue Sep 13 18:45:18 CEST 2005

On Tue, 2005-09-13 at 09:25 -0700, Rob Tanner wrote:
> I upgraded from Mailman 2.0.6 to 2.1.5, and I'm having a problem with
> the aliases.   My MTA is Postfix.
>
> Here's my problem.  Our mail system uses the LDAP server for all the MTA
> required local aliases.  However, on the specific server hosting
> Mailman, I modified the following line in the Postfix main.cf file to
> include the Mailman aliases file:
>
>        alias_database =
> dbm:/etc/postfix/aliases,dbm:/opt/mailman_2.1.5/data/aliases
>
> Apart from hosting Mailman, that server is not part of our regular mail
> system.
>
> When a message is sent to <listname>@linfield.edu, Postfix, on which
> ever one of the mail gateway servers that first sees the message, looks
> up the alias, and then using the mailroutingaddress attribute, re-routes
> the mail to <listname>@calvin.linfield.edu, which is the actual name of
> the host.  However, when the mail hits the Mailman server, Postfix
> reject it with the error:
>

>      550 <<listname>@calvin.linfield.edu>: User unknown in local
> recipient table
>
> The other pertinent setting in main.cf is:
>
>      local_recipient_maps = $alias_maps, dbm:/opt/mailman_2.1.5/data/aliases
>
> I've played extensively with the various Postfix parameters, and I've
> not been able to resolve this problem.  It probobly is a Postfix
> settings issue, and I'm hoping someone has had and resolved a similar issue.

Here are some things to check:

In your main.cf file you've specified a file_type of dbm but I don't see
anything in your mail saying you've told Mailman's Postfix.py to use
that file format. Have you? It defaults to whatever is the default
database type in your postfix installation. You should verify the file
types are in fact in harmony with one another. You could take a look at
postfix error logging to see if its complaining or use the postmap
command to simulate the lookup.

Also, it looks like you're performing domain mapping when you re-route
to the primary server. If the alias lookup's include domain information
you may fail the local_recipient_maps lookup because although the user
part of the address is correct it may include a domain part not
recognized by the server fielding the request. I would use the postmap
command to simulate an alias lookup and see what is returned and make
sure domains are not part of the alias or if they are that they match.
--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>