[Mailman-Users] mailman stopped working after upgrade

Daevid Vincent daevid at daevid.com
Tue Sep 13 03:54:39 CEST 2005

Mark said, "Yes, it has the flags, but what is the value of the ${MAILGID}
parameter?  The error message you received says it's 'mailman' and should be
'mail'."

And looking at the log, he seems to be correct:
Sep 12 12:16:19 [Mailman mail-wrapper] Group mismatch error.  Mailman
expected the mail_wrapper script to be executed as group "mailman", but_the
system's mail server executed the mail script as_group "mail".  Try tweaking
the mail server to run the_script as group "mailman", or re-run configure,
_providing the command line option `--with-mail-gid=mail'._

But the .ebuild script sets it to gid 280, shouldn't it be 8? why is that?
Is that the problem? How can I fix that. Re-emerging doesn't let me change
those .ebuild values. MD5 errors and such.

APACHEGID="81"
MAILGID="280"

src_compile() {
        econf \
                --prefix=${INSTALLDIR} \
                --with-mail-gid=${MAILGID} \
                --with-cgi-gid=${APACHEGID} \
        || die "configure failed"

        make || die "make failed"
}

# ll /etc/exim/exim.conf
-rw-r--r--  1 root root 29452 Apr 29 13:54 /etc/exim/exim.conf

  # User and group for Mailman, should match your --with-mail-gid
  # switch to Mailman's configure script.
  # Value is normally "mailman"
  MM_UID=mailman
  MM_GID=mailman

So, these match what the comment says there, and what the .ebuild is doing.

I'm so confused. *sigh*