[Mailman-Users] Mailman + Sendmail

Rich West Rich.West at wesmo.com
Tue Sep 13 03:13:37 CEST 2005

I did some further analysis and discovered that the messages (with the
same message ID) were showing up in the "ps" output as processing "from
queue".  Digging a little further, I tried killing off the sendmail
processes that were processing those requests, and I saw the following
appear in the mailman log:
Sep 12 20:53:28 2005 (24387) Low level smtp error: (4, 'Interrupted
system call'), msgid: <43262183.3010301 at wesmo.com>

So.. that got me thinking that Mailman was somehow not ending the
connection properly OR that my sendmail install really didn't like
handling multiple messages in one stream (I'm blanking as to why).  With
all of that in mind, I set :
SMTP_MAX_SESSIONS_PER_CONNECTION = 1
MAX_DELIVERY_THREADS = 0
SMTP_MAX_RCPTS = 1

And things started working.  Odd..

Now, I know that this is definitely NOT ideal or optimal.. But, what
could be going wrong?  I tried reducing the
SMTP_MAX_SESSIONS_PER_CONNECTION to "0" for my tests, and the problem
crept back.  I moved that back to 1, then set SMTP_MAX_RCPTS to "0", and
the problem crept back.  Only the config above seemed to work..

My mind is a jumbled mess thinking about this, but if anyone has any
ideas.. I'm all ears. :)

-Rich