[Mailman-Users] Newbie Question - Setting up email

Jan Kohnert nospam001-lists at jankoh.dyndns.org
Fri Sep 9 23:16:32 CEST 2005

Greg Burnett / Ascend Network schrieb:
> I just installed Mailman on my X86 PC - Debian Linux OS  - Apache works
> but I cant figure out how to set up the actual mail settings. I have
> sendmail.

You have sendmail on your maschine running mailman? If it is not configured
and running, I would leave it as it is...

> I have my own domain and mail server but it is located on a
> commercial account outside my machine.  My email address would be
> list at ascendnetwork.com  and along with my domain is at dnsbuy.com.

I'm bit of confused. the lists domain should be ascendnetwork.com but what is
dnsbuy.com? The Domain on which your mailserver is hosted? Your own local
domain? And if so why setting the lists domain to ascendnetwork.com?

> Do I need to set up a mail account on my local machine and if so,
> how do I do this?

You don't.

> If I can use my outside email address as the post to address, how
> do I set it up in mailman and in sendmail?

For mailman you might want to have a look at the parameter
"DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST" in Mailman/Default.py and set it correctly in
Mailman/mm_cfg.py. As said before, I would leave sendmail as it is...

> Thanks for the help.

HTH,

> Greg Burnett

Best regards Jan

--
OpenPGP Public-Key Fingerprint:
0E9B 4052 C661 5018 93C3 4E46 651A 7A28 4028 FF7A