[Mailman-Users] I'm getting a 95% mass bounce action

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Sep 2 19:51:42 CEST 2005

David Spake wrote:

>Here's what's so odd about the whole situation, and what really throws
>me for a curve.

It confuses me too. See below.

>The message that shows at the bottom of the first
>Bounce Notification has been sucessfully posted to the list.  It's
>accepted by MailMan, with a timestamp of 10:55.  The very next message I
>have from the list is the first Bounce Notification, timestamped at
>10:57.  I have no other messages from the list between 10:55 and 10:57.
>  Then at 10:57 PM, I get the first of 55 or so bounce notifications.
>
>Looking back at the email message, I see the message "The triggering
>bounce notice is attached below.".  For clarity I include the entire
>message here between the xx's:
>
>xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
>This is a Mailman mailing list bounce action notice:
>
>     List:       HH_Talk
>     Member:     sxxx at casxxxx.net
>     Action:     Subscription disabled.
>     Reason:     Excessive or fatal bounces.
>

>The triggering bounce notice is attached below.
>
>Questions? Contact the Mailman site administrator at
>mailman at heartlandhumanists.org.
>
>============================
>Subject: [HH_Talk] xxx
>From: <gxxx at msn.com>
>Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 22:55:09 -0500
>To: "HH talk" <hh_talk at heartlandhumanists.org>
>Sender: hh_talk-bounces at heartlandhumanists.org
>
>http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,167235,00.html
>

>============
>xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
>That's it.  One last thing I've checked is to see if the Message-ID: of
>the posted message, and the Message-ID: of the attached "triggering
>bounce notice" are the same.  They are.

My first point of confusion is you have posted earlier that bounce
processing is off. In this case, mail to the listname-bounces address
is ignored by Mailman. Are you getting notices like the above with
bounce processing off? If so, I don't understand why.

Ignoring that confusion for the moment, the notice you quote above
contains a "triggering bounce notice" which is not a delivery status
notification. It looks like a post that was sent out from the list and
then possibly echoed back to the listname-bounces address by one of
the recipients, although there are no Received: headers supporting
this notion. Possibly something in your MTA is doing this. Have you
checked all your aliases?

I'm also confused as to where the disabled subscribers address
(sxxx at casxxxx.net) was picked up as it doesn't seem to be in the
notice anywhere although it could be VERPed in the envelope recipient.

Also, where does the 153-hh_talk... address in the Delivered-To: header
come from?

What do the rest of the 55 or so notices look like? are they the same
except for the address of the disabled user?