[Mailman-Users] max_num_recipients variable question

John W. Baxter jwblist at olympus.net
Thu Sep 1 18:37:52 CEST 2005

On 8/31/05 7:00 PM, "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen at xemacs.org> wrote:

>     John> But yes, 10 recipients known to Mailman is the limit as set
>     John> up by the default value.  Personally, I prefer a setting of
>     John> 1 (I hate broadcasting addresses into a mailing list).
>
> Does that actually work?  Although 10 is too many (I don't think I've
> ever seen a non-spam/troll with more than 5 including the list on the
> lists I manage), most of the lists I manage have occasional valid
> reasons for cross-posting or adding non-member recipients.  I would
> think the inconvenience would be greater with restriction to 1.

I probably should have said "I would prefer".  As to cross-posting, for a
list where that is natural, a setting of 1 would not work well.

As to non-member recipients, that's why I would prefer a setting of 1.  I
don't think--in most cases--the addresses of such people should be broadcast
to lists.  If their spam filtering doesn't let Bcc-addressed messages
through, then a separate send seems in order.

[For the address I use for this and other work-related lists, it wouldn't
matter...this morning Google shows 3600 hits on the address:  it was ruined
years ago, before the spammers destroyed email.  The address does make a
nice honeypot, though.]

  --John