[Mailman-Users] problem to send e-mil to the list

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Oct 28 07:18:26 CEST 2005

Thomas Spuhler wrote:

>On Thursday 27 October 2005 08:32 pm, you wrote:
>>
>> This message comes from postfix and is telling you it doesn't know how
>> to deliver to spuhlerfam at btspuhler.com. It is quite likely that your
>> aliases are not configured in postfix in the right way. If things are
>> properly configured, I don't think it will be using the Kolab Server
>> transport protocol.
>What is required in postfix for mailman aliases, alias_maps, alias_database
>where does postfix get the mailman list addresses from?

See below

>> With MTA = 'Postfix', when you create a list, Mailman puts a bunch of
>> aliases in /var/lib/mailman/data/aliases. They look something like
>>
>> list:              "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post list"
>> list-admin:        "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman admin list"
>> list-bounces:      "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman bounces list"
>> list-confirm:      "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman confirm list"
>> list-join:         "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman join list"
>> list-leave:        "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman leave list"
>> list-owner:        "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman owner list"
>> list-request:      "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman request list"
>> list-subscribe:    "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman subscribe list"
>> list-unsubscribe:  "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman unsubscribe list"
>
>these are in there for three lists. When I add a list member using the WEB
>interface and click on notify list owner, or if I add myself to the list, I
>get notified. (I receive the e-mail.

An owner notification may be sent to 'list-owner' which if received
would indicate that mail to 'list-owner' originating from 'localhost'
is properly delivered back to Mailman, so something may work, but mail
to 'list' originating from wherever you send it from doesn't seem to
work.

>The /var/lib/mailman/data/aliases.db gets updated.
>For what is the systemwide mailing list "mailman" used?

See the FAQ, Article 4.25

>> Mailman then calls the POSTFIX_ALIAS_CMD which in your case is the
>> default '/usr/sbin/postalias' to update the aliases.db file. It is
>> these aliases together with the above alias_maps in the postfix config
>> that tell postfix how to deliver to 'list'.
>>
>> In your case, something is wrong with the aliases or aliases.db files
>> content or permissions or they aren't where postfix thinks they are or
>> something in the postfix configuration, perhaps having to do with
>> Kolab 2, is interfering with postfix's use of the aliases, or ??
>>
>> See http://www.list.org/mailman-install/node12.html and subordinates.
>> If you still can't figure it out, try a postfix support list. This is
>> not a Mailman problem. The mail never gets to Mailman.
>I was on this site already. Seems kind of outdated? or Mandriva just installs
>it very differently.

I think the manual is current, but I don't use postfix, so I don't know
for sure.

As I said before, there isn't any more I can offer you. There are
others on this list who know more about configuring postfix than I do,
but this is a Mailman list. You might find more help from a postfix
list or from your packager.