[Mailman-Users] mailman without hosting mail server

JC Dill lists05 at equinephotoart.com
Thu Oct 27 19:18:55 CEST 2005

Darich Runyan/OMNI INFOSEC HQ wrote:
> Thanks for the quick reply.  I was afraid that it was possible but
> would be very complex/time consuming.  I guess I will look into
> either migrating hosting of our email in-house, or as John Dennis
> pointed out, finding a hosting company that provides list services.

Of these two choices, finding a better host is by FAR the easier answer.
  Migrating and running email in house can be very difficult.  You have
to deal with:

	Spam
	Viruses
	Sending email from many locations (for mobile users)
	(While avoiding having an open relay)
	Setting up a list manager
	Providing webmail options

A good host does all these things for you.  The small price for hosted
email (and hosted websites) is usually far less than the labor costs for
the employees and/or consultants needed to bring email services in-house
for most small businesses.  Only when your hosting costs start to
approach the cost for an IT person's salary should most businesses
consider bringing these services in-house.  (There are exceptions, if
you happen to have someone who is already expert in all these skills
in-house, doing other tasks, who can do this stuff in "spare time".  But
most small businesses who are using hosted email don't have someone who
knows all of this and who has extra time to deal with all these tasks.)

jc