[Mailman-Users] Posting problems to all users of our mailing list...

John W. Baxter jwblist at olympus.net
Wed Oct 26 18:27:16 CEST 2005

On 10/25/05 8:09 PM, "Mark Sapiro" <msapiro at value.net> wrote:

> ISPs do lots of things with mail besides delivering it or rejecting it.
> Some ISPs will just silently discard mail they don't like. Thus in
> these cases, you won't see a bounce and the recipient won't see the
> mail and the ISP may not admit that this has happened. ISPs tend to
> think that it's to their advantage to protect their users from spam
> even if it means discarding some desired mail.

The above is part of the destruction of email that the spammers have
accomplished.

Note that it's not just the ISP.  We regularly get support calls about mail
not being received, when the logs clearly show that the message was
deposited into the user's mailbox and later picked up by the user's machine.
Something on the user's machine (our users primarily run Windows of some
vintage) has filed, dropped, or done whatever to the message.

  --John