[Mailman-Users] "bounce" message from misconfigured mail host(s) [postoffice at xizor.is.scarlet.be: Returned mail: User unknown]

Hannah Schroeter hannah at schlund.de
Wed Oct 26 17:48:45 CEST 2005

Hello!

I'm getting "bounces" like this from a misconfigured site which bounces
to the header From instead of the envelope from.

Perhaps that recipient should just be removed from the list?

The "bounce" has envelope from
  jean.jacques.blanckaert at tiscali.be
  (should be empty!)
header from
  postoffice at xizor.is.scarlet.be
and stems from
  [193.74.71.21] (helo=xizor.is.scarlet.be)
  (helo matches the reverse-mapping of the IP, double reverse check
  matches)

Its received lines seem to be echoed from the original mail (bad!).

The upmost received lines from the original mail are:
        by bag.python.org (Postfix) with ESMTP id E0E2B1E411D
        for <jjbl3213 at tiscali.be>; Sun, 23 Oct 2005 21:23:14 +0200 (CEST)

So something at or after smtp-vbr10.xs4all.nl or fundy.is.scarlet.be is
heavily misconfigured. Please fix this (CC is set to people who could be
responsible): DSNs should have an empty (null) envelope sender and
should be sent *only* to the envelope sender of the original message,
the header (From/Reply-To) should never be evaluated for creating
DSNs/bounces.

Kind regards,

Hannah.

----- Forwarded message from postoffice at xizor.is.scarlet.be -----