[Mailman-Users] Attach Pics

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Wed Oct 26 03:03:59 CEST 2005

David wrote:

>I want to allow pics but nothing else.  No html emails, exes, zips etc
>I got the list to block everthing but I am not seeing how to allow just
>pics to go thru.

In content filtering, one way to to this is

filter_content -> yes

filter_mime_types -> empty

pass_mime_types -> multipart/mixed
                   multipart/alternative
                   message/rfc822
                   text/plain
                   image

This allows only text/plain parts and image parts from multipart/mixed
messages and parts, multipart/alternative messages and parts and
attached message parts.

If you also want to allow PGP signed messages, add

          multipart/signed
          application/pgp-signature

to the above pass_mime_types list.

If you want to restrict image types to say GIF, JPEG and PNG only,
remove image from the list and add

         image/gif
         image/jpeg
         image/png

Of course, some evil doer can always send a zip or exe to your list
with MIME type image/jpeg. In Mailman 2.1.6, you can protect against
this to some extent with header_filter_rules (in Privacy
options...->Spam filters as described in the FAQ at
http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq03.051.htp.
This doesn't work in 2.1.5 and earlier because they don't search
sub-part headers for header_filter_rules.