[Mailman-Users] Host not found

Dwight Tovey dwight at dtovey.net
Tue Oct 25 15:31:02 CEST 2005

Daniel Cuschieri said:
> Woops my bad!  I quoted the incorrect error message!
>
> The error msg I am getting is this one:
>
> The original message was received at Tue, 25 Oct 2005 15:14:15 +0200 from
> [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]

> <mylist at mydomain.org>
>
>     (reason: 550 <mylist at mydomain.org>: Recipient address rejected: User
> unknown in virtual alias table)
>
>    ----- Transcript of session follows ----- ... while talking to
> mail.mydomain.org.:

> <<< 550 <mylist at mydomain.org>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in
> virtual alias table 550 5.1.1 <mylist at mydomain.org>... User unknown <<<
> 554
> Error: no valid recipients

Ok, so now we've found what machine the mail list is on, but that machine
doesn't know about the list.  You need to tell the SMTP daemon how to
deliver messages to Mailman.  The specifics of this will depend on which
SMTP server you are using (sendmail, exim, postfix, qmail).  Look at
Chapter 6 in the Mailman Installation Manual:
http://www.list.org/mailman-install/mail-server.html

    /dwight
--
Dwight N. Tovey